In this article, you will learn:
- What is the right to be forgotten
- How to easily delete customer data from edrone
- What is the difference between changing the customer' status to "Unsubscribed" and deleting him from your database
The right to be forgotten
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) introduces a right for individuals to have personal data erased, also known as the "right to be forgotten":
"The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller the erasure of personal data concerning him or her without undue delay (...)" (Art. 17 GDPR)
You can easily remove a customer from your edrone database. When you open your customer profile, you will have a button saying “delete customer”.
Clicking the button will cause:
- the permanent removal of this customer’s profile from your database (edrone’s) - it won’t be possible to search for this customer in the system after this point; and
- the discontinuation of edrone’s information gathering process for this customer's activities on your website - he will become "invisible" to us and, as consequence, completely ignored.
Important note: As per GDPR standards, we use a procedure called pseudonymization, in which we no longer keep the customer data (email, name, surname, etc.). However, we do keep an ID, generated when this customer first visited your website (after its integration with edrone, of course). So, once you remove this customer from your database, his data won’t be associated with this ID anymore. Nevertheless, if, for example, after one year, this customer contacts you questioning on what basis he received your newsletter on an indicated date (in the past - before his removal) and forwards an electronic version of this email to you, you will be able to provide information about what triggered this Newsletter to be sent, about his subscription status at the time, and about the date his permission to receive e-mails was given (subscription).
How to delete a user on edrone?
MISSION CONTROL >> CRM >> then enter the email on the search bar and search for it.
As mentioned above, when you open your customer profile, you will have a button saying “delete customer”. Once you click on it, you will be asked to enter your password. By doing so, this customer will be permanently deleted from your database.
The difference between changing the customer' status to "Unsubscribed" and deleting him from your database
Changing the customer’ subscription status to “Unsubscribed”:
- The customer can unsubscribe from your database by clicking the "Unsubscribe" button on the emails he receives from you;
- You can also change his status to “Unsubscribed” on his profile;
- The change is reversible. The customer may temporarily not want to receive emails from your store; however, in the future, he may change his mind and return to your base by subscribing again to your newsletter;
- If the customer contacts you directly, requesting the cancelation of his subscription, take the opportunity to assess the reason why he wants to do that; his feedback will help you better understand your base.
Deleting the customer from your base:
It is possible to delete a list of customers from your database at once; this action is taken from our admin panel. So, if you want to remove several customers from your base, you should send this list to our Customer Success Department via chat or email (email@example.com).
As explained, you can delete customers directly from their customer profile - one by one.
Important note about restoring deleted data: If a deleted customer decides to resubscribe to your list within seven days from his removal, his historical data will be restored; after this period, we will start to collect data from scratch.
You can also restore customer(s) by importing a CSV file and selecting to “Resurrect deleted customers”.
So, as you can see, everyone has the right to be forgotten but never forget that the best way to avoid this from happening is by always offering value to your customer base, making them love you “till death do you part.” =)
With the right engagement, no one needs to be forgotten.